coffee: friend or foe
Last week after a very nostalgic dinner in NYC, I looked at my two friends and said "i'd love a coffee now". Times have changed..and so have I.
Until last year, I was a coffee-hater. Everytime someone mentioned the word or proclaimed their undying loyalty and love for this drink, it brought back bitter bitter memories.
I was a pesky 3 year old asking my parents to play with me - and their predictable response was "honey, not before I have my coffee". I would think with vehemence, "Adults and their sinful addiction to coffee!!! I will never be one of those drones unable to exist without their coffee!!!"
Over the years, I tried desperately to fit in - to love the java bean. As a child, I would always ask for a sip hoping each time it would finally make sense and I would fall in love with the dark murky concoction.
Then suddenly, one day I woke up and began my love affair with coffee. Every morning, I live for that first cup. My Saturday morning treat is to walk into the village and buy a Venti (largest coffee available at a certain retail coffee outlet). Sometimes I splurge and allow myself a latte.
But every now and again, I slip up and drink a coffee late in the day...then am left sleepless to ponder about the evils of coffee.
Last week after a very nostalgic dinner in NYC, I looked at my two friends and said "i'd love a coffee now". Times have changed..and so have I.
Until last year, I was a coffee-hater. Everytime someone mentioned the word or proclaimed their undying loyalty and love for this drink, it brought back bitter bitter memories.
I was a pesky 3 year old asking my parents to play with me - and their predictable response was "honey, not before I have my coffee". I would think with vehemence, "Adults and their sinful addiction to coffee!!! I will never be one of those drones unable to exist without their coffee!!!"
Over the years, I tried desperately to fit in - to love the java bean. As a child, I would always ask for a sip hoping each time it would finally make sense and I would fall in love with the dark murky concoction.
Then suddenly, one day I woke up and began my love affair with coffee. Every morning, I live for that first cup. My Saturday morning treat is to walk into the village and buy a Venti (largest coffee available at a certain retail coffee outlet). Sometimes I splurge and allow myself a latte.
But every now and again, I slip up and drink a coffee late in the day...then am left sleepless to ponder about the evils of coffee.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home