Fourth Solitude

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Late again!

Today I was running about 15 minutes late to a dinner meeting with the bosses. argh - late again.

Out of nowhere this woman in crutches comes up to me and begs for my help. She wanted me to drive her to her home which was only 5 minutes away. Her handicap bus stood her up and she was on the corner for the past 2 hours asking for random strangers to help her.

I explained that I was really late and that I really couldn't drive her anywhere and suggested for her to call a cab. But then she explained that she had no cash on her and that the bank was too far for her to get there. She told me in desperation that she had arthritis.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I couldn't help but wonder if this was some sort of sick ploy, trickery, gimic to make money.

Anyways, I hailed a cab - promptly helped her into it and gave the cab driver money to take her to her home.

I don't know if this woman was for real or if she had just conned me. And I was sort of embarrassed that I "fell for the ploy" as I recounted my reason for being super late to dinner. Then one of my colleagues just said that I have to believe that I did the right thing and believe that I helped someone today.

So there you have it - this world has degenerated to the point that we are paranoid to help people and wonder more about possibly being conned than actually helping those around us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home