Fourth Solitude

Tuesday, June 24, 2003

Righteousness through Faith

I read the Bible often when i'm going through bouts of insomnia...my current top three books from the Bible are Phillipians, Ecclesiastes, and Romans. Ecclesiastes for putting some meaning into my restlessness, Phillipians for guidance and encouragement, finally, Romans for making me think.

The title of this entry is a complete rip-off from the book of Romans:

"But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. here is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace thourgh the redemption that came by Christ Jesus."

Righteousness comes through faith...that makes me think about my own personal conduct. Am I righteous? If I would evaluate myself on righteousness...am I exceeding the expectations of Mosaic Law? Am I better than laws and bills written for our country? Do I make a difference around my friends or people I encounter on a daily basis?

If my righteousness is indicative of my level of faith...I fear....

If I hold myself to society's standards than I would say that I am in the top decile. But if I were to go beyond the laws and decree of this land, I would be benchmarking myself against God's standards. One would ask if it was fair to hold oneself to GODs standard...well if I loved myself - would I want the best for myself?

Blah blah blah. Bottom line is that we try our best...I just wonder if I put any effort into things in general at all?

Sometimes I just think that i'm pure evil.

"but we are justified freely through his grace" phewf. thank god GOD has grace!

now if I truly loved someone - would I be satisfied with just asking for His forgiveness? Even though I am justified freely thorugh His grace, I don't think that i would just depend on it. I've never pictured myself as a freeloader - so why be a faith-freeloader???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home