Dining Alone
I travel a lot for work and find myself dining alone every so often. I must admit that the first couple of times I found the experience to be intimidating - bringing books or magazines along and feeling really self-conscious.
Now after a long day of travel and business - I prefer to dine alone and very quietly. It is a luxury to eat while being lost in one's thoughts.
It still surprises me though how many people are uncomfortable with me. Other couples or groups of people stare and give me pity looks. Some wonder curiously why I am alone. The most interesting is when the servers seem apologetic or insist on getting me the daily paper.
My final observation is that food tastes the same when alone or with friends.
I travel a lot for work and find myself dining alone every so often. I must admit that the first couple of times I found the experience to be intimidating - bringing books or magazines along and feeling really self-conscious.
Now after a long day of travel and business - I prefer to dine alone and very quietly. It is a luxury to eat while being lost in one's thoughts.
It still surprises me though how many people are uncomfortable with me. Other couples or groups of people stare and give me pity looks. Some wonder curiously why I am alone. The most interesting is when the servers seem apologetic or insist on getting me the daily paper.
My final observation is that food tastes the same when alone or with friends.

1 Comments:
I have a good friend in SG who's husband owns a business overseas. When her trashy magazines come in the mail, she makes a reservation for 1 at a fancy restaurant and dresses up to dine there alone with her magazines! I am also used to eating meals alone when i travel. It is somewhat empowering though. In this sense- you literally are the company you keep :) hope to see you soon!
By
bx, at 03 June, 2008 11:11
Post a Comment
<< Home