The impatient traveller
I love travelling. I love vacations abroad - little weekend trips and far-away trips. The idea of getting on a plane to go somewhere appealed to me. I also used to be enchanted by the idea of business travel. I thought it was very sophisticated and felt so important the first times I travelled for work. It was great - staying at the best hotels and charging everything to work.
After a few years of travelling mostly from Toronto to PEI (granted, not the most glamourous spots) and sometimes going out West - I am officially the most intolerant traveller.
There is still a part of me that loves hopping on a plane to go to work. But a huge part of me just gets obnoxiously annoyed when slow people block my way as I am walking to the gate, when crying babies are on my flight, when the person next to me wants to talk (can't you see I am trying to work on my lap top??).
I know more than a few airports like the back of my hand and like to speedily get from my car to the plane in less than 15 minutes (including security). I have a set routine and it works if everyone around me is equally efficient. Once I am on the plane I can fit my travel clothes, laptop and purse under my seat because I also have the "packing-for-work" routine down pat. Basically, I hate wasting time waiting unnecessarily because it means that I lose precious work time or home time. As soon as the seat-belt light goes off, I am up and ready to bounce out of the plane.
Anyways - all this to say that I have become one of the most hurried, obnixious travellers during the week. And this behaviours bleed into my holidays abroad. I get so annoyed when PP is a little slower than me at the airport...etc...and a couple of weeks ago - he told me what I needed desperately to hear "M - why is there such a need to hurry??? the plane doesn't get you there any faster! Slow down!"
So now I try to be more zen when I travel for work. That is, except for when babies keep crying while I try to work...
I love travelling. I love vacations abroad - little weekend trips and far-away trips. The idea of getting on a plane to go somewhere appealed to me. I also used to be enchanted by the idea of business travel. I thought it was very sophisticated and felt so important the first times I travelled for work. It was great - staying at the best hotels and charging everything to work.
After a few years of travelling mostly from Toronto to PEI (granted, not the most glamourous spots) and sometimes going out West - I am officially the most intolerant traveller.
There is still a part of me that loves hopping on a plane to go to work. But a huge part of me just gets obnoxiously annoyed when slow people block my way as I am walking to the gate, when crying babies are on my flight, when the person next to me wants to talk (can't you see I am trying to work on my lap top??).
I know more than a few airports like the back of my hand and like to speedily get from my car to the plane in less than 15 minutes (including security). I have a set routine and it works if everyone around me is equally efficient. Once I am on the plane I can fit my travel clothes, laptop and purse under my seat because I also have the "packing-for-work" routine down pat. Basically, I hate wasting time waiting unnecessarily because it means that I lose precious work time or home time. As soon as the seat-belt light goes off, I am up and ready to bounce out of the plane.
Anyways - all this to say that I have become one of the most hurried, obnixious travellers during the week. And this behaviours bleed into my holidays abroad. I get so annoyed when PP is a little slower than me at the airport...etc...and a couple of weeks ago - he told me what I needed desperately to hear "M - why is there such a need to hurry??? the plane doesn't get you there any faster! Slow down!"
So now I try to be more zen when I travel for work. That is, except for when babies keep crying while I try to work...

1 Comments:
hey m, i think i suffer from this too as a result of weekend trips. i'm always in a mad rush to get whereever and then rushing to get home back to my bed.
the worst over here are people from certain places in asia (2 countries with the largest population) who have no concept of order and lining up. they always bud at the immigration line or any line at all. then if you end up sitting beside one on the plane? they don't have any manners and sneeze on you and take up all the room, b/c their mentality is just to take what they can and get in front while they can. that is MY pet PEEVE! also, people who rush up as soon as boarding starts regardless of their seat! ORDER people ORDER!
By
bx, at 02 April, 2008 20:03
Post a Comment
<< Home