Fourth Solitude

Thursday, July 01, 2004

ABS

Asian Bitch Stare

What does it mean exactly?

It's a term I learned in University when A and I would shop instead of going to class.

The following is a reenactment of ABS: A and I walk sassily downtown and suddenly our conversation halts as we pass another group of Asian girls. Their conversation stops and there is a mutual STARE DOWN.

WHY?

Who knows. It could be natural curiosity or a result of some weird socio-psychological occurance to Asians who grow up in North America.

At the workplace, believe it or not, ABS still occurs. I would argue that this phenomenon extends to all visible minorities and to both genders. And it extends beyond a simple stare-down.

For a couple of years now, I realize that as a successful young Chinese woman - I am the target of other visible minorities. They consider me as competition and fiercely challenge me while acquiesing to my White counterparts.

Why can't we all just be friends?

Or accept the fact that I'm better than you regardless or race and gender - and I'll be your boss one day. muHAHAHAHA.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home